- If you couldn’t already tell by my Thor and first Guardians reviews, I really freaking love gratuitous rainbow-galactic-nebula star stuff. Instead of toning it down like The Dark World did, Vol. 2 vomits it into your eyeballs in the opening scene. Sweet.
- Gunn really wanted you to understand that the central theme was about family. Quill and Ego, Quill and Yondu, Gamora and Nebula, the Ravagers, the Guardians…Not subtle. At all. But endearing, especially when it’s revealed that Nebula hates Gamora for not being as much of a sister as two unrelated, unwilling daughters of the evilest dude in the universe can be.
- The soundtrack wasn’t as stellar as the first, but still delightfully enjoyable.
- Chris Pratt is still sexy! And his expression and intonation as he says, “I’m gonna make some weird shit,” has got to be one of the most underrated moments of the film.
- There are some pretty good jokes in this movie, but the humor falls flatter than the first installment.
- I know I will make zero friends saying this, but Groot can grow the fuck up now.
- Quill lamenting that he never had a father to toss a ball back and forth with suddenly finding himself playing cosmic catch with dear-old dad. I feel like I’ve seen this in 70 other iterations.